Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Peace...God's gift to us

This post is all over the map because I just started typing everything that's rolling around in my mind.


I read a something that makes a lot of sense: "Don't worry about what you do not understand of the Bible. Worry about what you do understand but do not live by." I read this in a book by Corrie ten Boom (my hero). This makes so much sense. In a way it took a burden from me. I get so wrapped up in "is this right, is that right, would God approve, etc." While I'm pondering over such things, I'm not doing the things I KNOW is Biblical and I know is right!!! God knows our hearts. He knows if our desire is to please Him. We may not know all the answers to the questions we have about the Bible, but we do know that God will help us. God will guide us. If we pray, walk with him daily, do our best to honor Him, we do not need to worry so much about what we don't understand. I believe also that God will reveal Himself to us...He will reveal truth. We can never rely on our own wisdom and understanding - we must rely on Him.

The world has a way of making God very small. The world has answers to all of your questions, but, according to the world, God's opinion is just that - His opinion. The world does not see one Truth. The world sees "my truth" and "your truth." We as Christians (I am saying this to myself more than anyone) need to start ignoring the world and its views and start living according to God's Truth. The world has a lot to offer. God has more to offer, but most of us don't want to take that step of faith to find that out. Most of us would rather enjoy the comforts of this world we know, and not take a chance on God. His plans may be different from mine. He may want me to do something I had not planned to do. I may have to step on someone's toes. I may have to spend more time with the people I don't spend much time with and less time with some of the ones I spend more time with. What I'm getting at is this: In my life, the times I've grown more as a Christian and closer to God are the times when I left what I wanted to do and did what He wanted me to do. I chose step outside my comfort zone. I chose to do what I know is right. I did not let my emotions take control of me. When this way of life becomes habit, we are growing closer to God's will. When we start ignoring God and trying to take control of our own lives, we are drifting away from His will. I've asked myself many times, "What is God's will in my life?" If I am not seeking His will then I cannot possibility expect an answer. I can't just expect him to whisper in my ear, "My will for you is..." if I am trying to control my life, my circumstances, my family's circumstances, etc and making God a small part of the process. Peace comes only from God. Trying to find peace any other way is a waste of time - not only my time but the Lord's time - time I could be using to glorify Him.

No comments: