Thursday, September 11, 2008

The Shack (con't)

Ok - I've had a couple of days to process everything. I do want to be clear about something. I do believe there is a lot of truth in this book, but that doesn't mean I agree with EVERYTHING. Many things do NOT line up with scripture, so I do see this book for what it is -a fiction book. What made me feel closer to God was seeing the relationship one can have with Him (or the Trinity). Also, the question "why do bad things happen?" was in some ways answered. The main character did not want to forgive the man who killed his daughter, but God says He must in order for God to redeem Him. The main character can't see the killer through the eyes of God. So, there are good parts and misleading parts to this book (In my opinion). I've read a lot of bad reviews from the Southern Baptist church, and I understand why. The Word of God is the Bible, not The Shack. I do trust, believe and will always stand by that. When I said many people put "God in a box," The box wasn't the Bible, but just so many people's perceptions are of Him. Sometimes I think we put limitations on God because we just don't understand just how loving and powerful He is. So, by no means am I saying that this book is the gospel. There is only one gospel. The whole conversation between Jesus and the main character about religion is interesting. I've always believed God was not interested in religion, only personal relationships with him. There is a difference though between "religion" and "church." I think there are some churches out there that are just "religious" but I also know there are whole lot out there that are not. There are a whole lot of churches out there that are all about serving others and worshipping the Lord, and everything a church should be according to the Bible. I think a lot of things can be perceived in different ways in the book. For instance, the "church" isn't always referring to a building where people go. It is also the believers in Christ as a whole. So, I'm no expert. The book did move me. It made me feel really loved by God. That can't be a bad thing. It's not some "Oprah" or "new age" book. The author and main character clearly love all parts of the Trinity - Jesus, The Father, and Holy Spirit. It is unique how he describes their relationship to us as well as to each other. I think one has to overlook some of the negatives of the book to really see the overall picture - which is God wants to be with us always, every second, every minute of every day. What more could we ask for?

By the way, I read some negative reviews about God being portrayed as a black woman. I don't think the author is saying God is a black woman. He made himself into the image a woman for the purpose of healing the main character. He even says he can take on the image of anyone or anything He wants. Besides, later the book he was in the image of a white man. I think it's obvious the author is not saying God is a woman.

No comments: