Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Home for Christmas


It's that time of year again. Christmas is so fun for me. I still have a hard time not buying too much. I worry that my kids are focusing too much on Santa and not Jesus. I wish there was a way to get them as excited about Jesus as they are about Santa. There are some similarities in Santa and Jesus I observed while watching "Miracle on 34th Street" today. When I was a little girl I always thought that was the real Santa. I have always pictured Jesus being a lot like that particular Santa. He was kind and it showed in his eyes. He understood each individual child's needs and desires. We don't know how he does all he does on December 24th, but we don't ask - we just believe. We don't how God does all He does, why things happen the way they do, what He has in store for us next...but we believe He is perfect and He is good. What are we without faith? Sometimes I hear people say "as long as you believe in something and it makes you happy, it's okay." How can you just believe in anything? Who ever said we had to be happy all of the time? There's a difference in being at peace and being happy. I'll take peace any day. When I think of my relationship with God, it's not some religion that I claim - it's a true faith in Him. God reveals himself daily to me. He is never far away, and I can feel it. His presence means everything to me. To me it's not hard at all to believe in Him. I know that I am nothing without Him. I don't even pretend I could make it on my own! I've tried that route before, and it doesn't work. When you know to Lord, when you've had a relationship with Him, if you start going your own way, it doesn't take long to get homesick. He is my home.

No comments: